Update Firefox’s search bar with new Google favicon, again

Search bar with new Google iconSo Google has updated its logo once again. If having different icons in the search bar and the location bar while on a Google results page makes you feel like there’s yet another item in your to-do list, here’s some relief.

You can update the Firefox’s default Google search plugin to show the new Google search icon:

1. Download this updated version of the Google search plugin. (Only change is the updated data: url for the favicon)
  2. Copy it to your searchplugins folder in your Firefox install folder  (typically C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ on Windows), and overwrite the existing google.xml file.
  3. Save the file and restart Firefox.

Now you have the current favicon and can rest.

1. Anonymous January 13, 2009 7:36 am

The new icon is rather ugly. Thanks, I’ll use this method to restore the old google favicon when newer firefox versions replace it.

2. Cowman January 13, 2009 11:05 am

Hey I’m using 3.1b2 and I’m having trouble using this xml. Have things changed in 3.1? I’ve tried replacing the google.xml in the Program Files directory as well as adding the google.xml file to my profile’s directory.

3. Dom January 13, 2009 11:50 am

Ha! I hated the first change at first, altough I got used to it eventually, and yet again, I’m reserved about this change.

However, I didn’t even realize my search bar has kept the “original” one. Good. I’m keeping it that way ;)

4. Wikzo January 13, 2009 12:19 pm

I don’t like the new one. Therefore I ain’t gonna update my search icon.

5. darkhole January 13, 2009 3:03 pm

On Linux, here is the route:
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins

6. Fitch January 13, 2009 4:24 pm

strange! It didn’t seem to take. Must be cached in Firefox 3.1 b2?

7. Marcus Roberto January 13, 2009 8:42 pm

And in Mac OS X? Where do I change?

8. AndrewR January 14, 2009 2:02 am

In Mac OS X, the searchplugins folder is inside the MacOS folder, which is inside the Contents folder displayed when you right-click Firefox.app and select “Show Package Contents”.

9. anonymous January 14, 2009 10:39 am

Mac OS X Instructions:

Show Package Contents for the firefox app

Open the following folder path: Contents -> MacOS -> searchplugins

overwrite old google.xml file with the new one

done!

10. anonymous January 14, 2009 10:42 am

Actually, this doesn’t appear to work in OS X after replacing the xml file

11. Stick January 14, 2009 1:46 pm

For Fedora 10, the directory is /usr/lib/firefox-[version-number]/searchplugins… if you’re using the x86_64 version, it’s lib64 rather than lib.

12. rogerwilstitute January 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Google had *several* new icons they released. It would be nice if we could have the option to use one of those instead, such as the blue and white icon used for Google Mobile on the iPhone.

13. Dwight L. Stegall January 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Instead of showing us how to see some icon that I can see right here on your page, how about showing us some really cool way we can use Google Hacks. That would have more value to me than this story.

14. Jarek James January 14, 2009 10:55 pm

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/Searchplugins

in mac

15. Darren January 15, 2009 8:14 am

Doesn’t work in Firefox 3.1b2

16. Firefoxの検索バーでGoogleのアイコンを新しくする方法 - IDEA*IDEA ~ 百式管理人のライフハックブロ゠January 15, 2009 8:27 am

[...] まず「Update Firefox’s search bar with new Google favicon, again 」よりgoogle.xmlをダウンロードし、Firefoxのインストールディレクトリの「searchplugin」に突っ込みます。 [...]

17. Juan C. A. January 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Agree with Darren: Doesn’t work in Firefox 3.1b2

18. yemixnuga January 15, 2009 1:15 pm

I thot it was a favicon virus/spyware and tried to clean it out but to no avail. I then googled the problem and realised it’s just an update. It still looks like a virus/spyware to me anyway.

19. William S January 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Have new VISTA and new Toshiba 4gigs…VISTA is “blocking” the Radio STREAMING on FOX ?? …on XP, worked perfectly…click IN station and there it was…WHY, is MSFT being allowed(control) of FireFox? TERRIBLE…Plugs INs and Extension and CRAP does NOT work? …can only lock IN one radio station…ALSO, the FOX SCREEN is “blurry”…was always SHARP and Clear and Clean…WHY? Wm D ….help? can only use I.E….click and ‘right’ to the Radio Station…none of this crap about PLUG INs…can also do some in Opera…

20. pegasus January 26, 2009 11:42 am

Thank you for this Percy. I tried to do it for myself – and failed!

21. Hinemosu March 3, 2009 9:55 pm

Firefoxの検索バーに新しいGoogleアイコンを表示する、日本版…

「Firefoxの検索バーでGoogleのアイコンを新しくする方法 – IDEA*IDEA」から「Update Firefox’s search bar with new Google favicon, again – Mozilla Links」に辿りついたんだけど、google-jp.xmlが置いて無くて……

22. emarell July 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Regarding the new Firefox, v 3.5.1: I do see the new icon (and agree it’s ugly!). But I can’t get the search bar to display its results in a new tab as it used to. I do know about this tip
    and my about:config is set as directed therein.

Any other ideas on fixing this annoying inconvenience?

23. Josh August 6, 2009 12:37 pm

mine updated automatically. but what i really want to know is how do I get the old icon back? i loved the simple, classy “G” logo. i want it back!! :(

24. Graham November 5, 2009 11:47 pm

I downloaded and did exactly what you said with the google.xml file, but not a thing has changed!! :(

I have ver. 3.5.4