Firefox 3: Tango, Strata, Firelight.

Still under intensive polishing, the Firefox 3 themes now have names: Tango, Strata and Firelight, for the Linux, Windows and Mac OS X operating systems, respectively.

Tango, is named directly after the Tango Desktop Project which provides visual guidelines for Gnome and KDE Linux desktop environments. The new theme is in large part an effort of Michael Ventnor.

Strata, is an invention of Mike Beltzner, one of Firefox 3 lead developers. Icons were commissioned to the Iconfactory.

Firelight, was chosen by one of its own creators, Kevin Gerich and replaces Proto, which becomes a code name now. Stephen Horlander, is the other designer in charge of this beloved theme.

You will see these images in the Themes tab of upcoming first Firefox 3 release candidate.

1. Ryan Emmett May 1, 2008 3:01 pm

I usually stick to the default theme, but I could be tempted to tango… :)

2. Mohan May 1, 2008 4:10 pm

Definitely love the direction Mozilla went on three platforms. Now my question is how will Firefox 3.0 look on a FreeBSD or PC-BSD system?

3. hangfromthefloor May 1, 2008 4:46 pm

Will it be possible to use the theme of another operating system, for example, the Firelight theme on a Windows computer?

4. mg12 May 2, 2008 12:50 am

@hangfromthefloor
    You are Lucky! You can get the theme Firelight for Windows HERE.

5. jakewalk:blog May 7, 2008 4:19 am

Alternative Firefox 3 Themes…

Neu bei Firefox 3 ist, dass es betriebssystemspezifische Themes gibt. So sieht Firefox unter Windows anders aus als beispielsweise unter MacOS oder Linux. Die drei Themes heißen Tango für Linux, Strata für Windows und Firelight für MacOS:

Der Vort……

6. chowdskies June 11, 2008 11:08 pm

On my computer at work, the back button in strata is a circle, while my version at home is not a circle. I feel like an idiot asking that question, but how can I make mine at home have the big circle? btw, they are both running xp.

• Deed June 17, 2008 7:13 am

Not sure if this helps, but did you turn on small icons and forget about it?

• chowdskies June 17, 2008 8:42 pm

yup, that was it. I was driving me crazy. Thanks

• Daniel Brinca June 19, 2008 10:26 am

chowdskies: Your home firefox is probably configured with toolbar small icons. Just right click besides the menu, select Customize, and on the bottom, besides “Icons”, uncheck “Use Small Icons”.. :)

7. MrBlonde June 18, 2008 7:47 am

I have used Firefox 3 under Mac since the first Release Candidate was released, and I would like to change the size of the “back” button, but I can’t find where this is done. Can anyone help me?

8. Nicolas June 18, 2008 11:44 am

That huge back button is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. I want back and forward to look exactly the same, just mirrored.

9. Mike June 27, 2008 10:06 am

A windows version on Firelight would be awesome. I loaded FF3 in my mac at home as was like WOW! Then I did it at work on my PC and was like, “this is NOT AS pretty as my mac” (oh wait that is Windows in general, still…)

BTW: The link above goes to a site with an Asian character set (unreadable to me).

10. Andy September 17, 2008 8:05 am

Anyone who knows how to give some colour to Firelight theme? Gray scale icons are awful!! And it is difficult to differentiate between one and the others.