True full screen for Firefox 3

Recent Firefox 3 nightlies finally offer true full screen mode. In Firefox 2 (and previous Firefox 3 betas including beta 4) when you press F11 or select Full Screen from the View menu, Firefox expands to use all the screen but still shows the navigation and tab bars. To effectively use all available screen state you need an extension like FullerScreen.

Firefox 3 full screen menuNow, in full screen mode, the actual page contents use the whole screen estate with neither the navigation bar or the tab bar on sight. Instead, they slide to the upper edge as a hint of what happened to them for first time users. When you move the mouse cursor to the top the bars are shown again. A right click on the navigation bar shows a small menu to make the toolbars visible or exit full screen mode.

Even better, web developers can know if full screen mode is active or not through a new interface and could adapt the user interface accordingly.

Via Michael Ventnor’s blog.

1. Corey Farwell March 9, 2008 11:56 pm

if you are switching/moving through tabs, it is fairly difficult to stay in the tab bar because even just moving your mouse a pixel off the navigation/tab bar will make them disappear. it’d be nice if there was a 1 sec timer of some sort before they actually collapsed above

2. oyo| March 10, 2008 1:50 am

as a request i would like to have the ability to select text even if its a hyperlink, like opera

3. David Naylor March 10, 2008 3:38 am

Yep, I agree on the timer. Perhaps two seconds even. Otherwise, this is a great new feature!

4. Mohan March 10, 2008 1:14 pm

I just downloaded Firefox 3 Beta 4 RC and it is really good. I liking the XP theme, I need to test it out on my Ubuntu laptop once I get home. I am glad that Mozilla put in true full screen.

5. darkhole March 10, 2008 8:03 pm

This isn’t work for Firefox 3 Beta 4 in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon).. And, in a fullscreen, when you try to select some text, it becomes so slow!!! But, in a normal window (no fullscreen) there is no problem.

And, finally, in fullscreen mode, there is no submenu on the toolbars when I click the right buton.

Can you (or somebody) submit al this bugs??

6. Anthony June 13, 2008 12:12 am

I was stuck in full screen until I read this. lol

7. slim June 13, 2008 5:45 pm

I really wish the menu bars would just draw over the web page… It’s super annoying to have it push the page down and have it hop back and forth when you want to see the menu / tabs.

8. marinus November 20, 2008 4:13 pm

I’m sorry if i’m missing something but… FF3, and its 3? full-screen extensions do NOT deliver true full screen.
    You’re still stuck with the titlebar on top.
    I ditched Opera because they’re in denial about the total inadequacy of their widget system but they do 3 appearance things Right: Zoom-to-fit, hideable scroll bars [that don't enlarge along with page zoom too] and true full-screen.

9. fred January 31, 2010 4:19 pm

What happened to the command line option:
    -fullscreen

I would like it to start fullscreen, if I want menu I will happily press a user configurable key to have the menu / tab bar / status bar slid down over the page. You should be able to disable the mouse flyby autohide setup and use a key.

10. Mårten Angner May 6, 2010 2:34 am

I was stuck in ful screen mode in a meeting yesterday. It became quite embaresing to not finding the way to exit the damed thing. punding the Esc.- button dod not work neither did using any of the usual Funct-keys.

Finally I had to search for how to exit as I got laughted at from the meeting attendees.

Thank you for telling me how to, any way :-)

/ Mårten

11. Mohammad June 9, 2010 12:34 am

lol google has everything oh and the thing needs a timer