Firefox 3 to resume downloads across sessions

The latest Firefox 3 (code name Gran Paradiso) development release (nightly) includes the very important and expected ability to pause downloads and resume them across sessions, that is even after restarting Firefox. The addition happened just before the code freeze that started this morning in preparation for the upcoming milestone 8 (M8) expected for mid September.

The development is thanks to the work of Brahmana as one of the Mozilla mentored Summer of Code projects sponsored by Google.

While the back end code is already in, the necessary user interface is still missing and should be available in the days to come. Since download resume depends not only on the browser but also on the server capabilities, some icon is needed to let the user know whether it is possible to pause the download or not.

With the new user interface for the Download Manager currently in the works I guess hiding the pause could be enough, but will ssee what the developers come up with.

Download manager item

On related news, an option to easily copy the download web address (URL) was also added recently.

1. The Guru September 6, 2007 12:59 pm

Nice, although I usually don’t run into problems with needing to wait for a download to complete before shuting down. I suppose those on dial-up or low-end broadband (wireless) may find this feature more useful

2. Jilles van Gurp September 6, 2007 3:11 pm

This is an important feature that makes downloading very large files more reliable without resorting to bittorrent or external download managers. Is the icon really needed though? Most servers except a few old ones should support this. Maybe a warning when closing down the browser that downloads will cannot resume on next start up and will be cancelled would be more useful in the rare event that this is the case.

3. David September 6, 2007 7:28 pm

Great news. I was getting worried they had forgotten about this. But then, loads of things seem to be landing round about now. :)

4. Bob September 7, 2007 7:24 am

This is super news as unresumable downloads has been a big issue with me (and most others I assume). Nothing like having downloaded 90MB of a 100MB file from a server and having to start from scratch due to any number of issues.

I really like the idea of an indication of if the download is pause-able or not. Super! I have manually paused downloads not knowing the server did not allow for this.

5. NOTICIAS-TIC.COM September 7, 2007 8:53 am

Firefox 3 permitirá reanudar descargas entre sesiones

Como si se tratará de un gestor de descargas, Firefox 3.0 permitirá reanudar descargas entre sesiones.

6. Vinit Nair September 7, 2007 12:04 pm

Great Great Great… well thought of. This is a very good news. I usually download 300 — 400 MB files. It takes a lot of time to download and one can not sit for long hours. Thanks Mozilla ..Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Firefox 3 permitirá reanudar descargas entre sesiones // menéame September 7, 2007 3:09 pm

[...] principales novedades añadidas en las última nightly release Información original desde Mozilla: mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/09/firefox-3-to-resume-downloads-across-sessi8etiquetas: firefox, novedades, descargas, versionitis sin comentariosen: tecnología, software [...]

8. Firefox 3 ed il ripristino dei downloads interrotti « gp September 8, 2007 3:48 am

[...] ora mi limito ad usarli (intensamente). Questa m’è parsa particolarmente interessante: Firefox 3 avrà la capacità di ripristinare i downloads interrotti attraverso le sessioni. (Server [...]

9. Blog.DaleYa.com - Blog Multitemático de Internet » Blog Archive » Firefox 3 permitirá reanudar descargas entre sesiones September 8, 2007 7:20 am

[...] Esta es una de las principales novedades añadidas en las última nightly release. Hasta ahora, con versiones anteriores a Firefox, si cerrábamos una sesión y lo reiniciábamos perdíamos todo lo que en ese momento se estaba descargando si todavía no había finalizado.Esta nueva posibilidad especialmente útil para descargas de archivos de gran tamaño que puede que no concluyamos en una única sesión. [...]

10. Firefox 3 permitirá reanudar las descargas entre sesiones « Saliendo del pasado 2 September 8, 2007 8:18 am

[...] Firefox 3 permitirá reanudar las descargas entre sesiones. En las versiones anteriores ocurría que si cerrabamos la sesión y o reiniciabamos, se perdía todo lo que estabamos descargando en ese momento y aún no estaba finalizado. Ahora nos brinda esta nueva posibilidad, muy útil si estamos descargando grandes archivos y tengamos que cerrar la sesión. [...]

11. Praveen Markandu September 10, 2007 12:32 am

does this even work. cause pausing and resuming downloads in the same session doesnt work. if you pause a 200mb file at 80mb, when you resume it, it completes and the file is only 80mb

12. Bob September 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Praveen – it does work today. Your symptoms are likely due to an attempted resume with a server that does not allow resume capabilities.

• firefox sucks October 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Hey it doesnt work when u download from rapidshare! it doesnt resume from the point u paused, instead, it just disappears! wtf

• Percy Cabello October 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Rapidshare and perhaps all other file sharing sites expire download links once they’re started. It’s a server thing.

13. Nuevas características en Firefox 3 Alpha 8 « Javier Aroche @ Wordpress September 24, 2007 6:07 pm

[...] la vez y me cuesta un poco ubicarlos entre la lista. También, ahora el administrador de descargar permitirá pausar y continuar descargas entre sesiones, aunque esto es algo que yo no pienso usar con Firefox, para eso existen otros programas dedicados [...]

14. Abdulah Shaikh January 13, 2008 3:51 pm

firefox 3 is great news. i will surely check this. however, download manager (queing of downloads) is most important. as at the moment this is the only handicap in FF. we have to go on manually adding the download files after one is complete. if a feature like DAP can be incorporated it will be great.
    thanx

15. sanjay March 18, 2008 3:19 pm

with very pause my download files are gon but what i gather from this feeds that it downloads can be resumed after restart , can any body comment whether a rapidshare down load can be resumed with fire fox or not . thanks

16. jacobbrett April 16, 2008 12:47 am

Server resuming is disabled on some servers intentionally, for example file-sharing services.

17. Julio April 19, 2008 8:58 pm

This is good news to me too. I just got 655 of a 680mb file and got knocked off of the network only to realize once again that I will have to START OVER! I ran across this page while trying to figure out was there any other way to continue this download to completion! Oh well, this is one of the ONLY things that I don’t like about ffox…

18. rolf May 5, 2008 6:17 pm

I have always thought that download managers are ugly (ugly overkill interface… poor integration with the looks of the browser and the OS… poor support of http_authentication, cookies and such…). The number one reason that made me use them is
    - Ability to resume downloads
    - Ability to delay downloads
    Some other plusses of download managers are:
    - Ability to throttle bandwidth
    - Ability to parse a page and download multiple files (very useful if you’re looking at an apache directory index)
    - Ability to queue downloads (not absolutely necessary… but can be a plus)
    Now firefox has tackled the most important issue! yay… hopefully they continue down that road and implement other niceties that were previously provided by download managers…!

19. bob May 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Much Better….Still does not beat utorrent.

20. DonkeyJab June 2, 2008 11:22 pm

Does this feature work? I’m using FF3 RC1 and I still cant resume downloads. It sucks too because if FF gets an error and has to close I lose my downloads. Sucks having to redownload a 700MB file when I only had like 10MB/s to go! I wish this feature worked. :’(

21. Eric July 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Tried to download a 4 GB Fedora Iso but 2 times it stopped near the end and Firefox give me a “searching”. For what I ‘am asking myself….my internet connection is alive and the file I wanted to download is also still there.

To make things worse no resume is offered. To make it short: This “feature” of Firefox needs some finetuning…at least.

22. John July 23, 2008 9:29 am

If only the damn thing worked :(

23. Matt everett August 21, 2008 11:56 am

FireFox resume rarely works. It’s primitive and pathetic for an age old feature that should have been in browsers from the start.

Instead download managers are still the only reliable way to resume a download. Firefox is NOT WORTH relying on to resume your downloads.

• Kumag Vladipuque November 30, 2008 6:52 am

Yeah, external download managers could easily resume interrupted downloads as far back as I can remember. I just don’t know why this feature still isn’t integrated into Firefox.

24. James December 2, 2008 12:54 am

Yea, I love firefox but it’s download resuming capabilities suck. Most download managers support resuming of downloads but only for a limited amount of time. I found this new program that can resume a download whenever you want to. There’s no time limit. Your download can fail today and you can resume it weeks from today. Here’s a link to itlink. I hope that helps. I know it’s saved me hours and hours of redownloading.

25. Resume Revisions January 15, 2009 4:13 pm

At firsts I was stuck on IE but now im totally a Firefox fan.

26. fajar March 3, 2009 6:43 am

I was glad first time i read this news, but I’d rather be more careful to all next news about Firefox since, in fact, any download can only resumes if its server allows.

And sometimes, I don’t have many options beside waiting the download finished. Any other software can really help?

27. Zen of Linux July 6, 2009 2:18 pm

Pausing is one thing, resuming the other! Mozilla/Firefox has this annoying habit of declaring a download “finished” if the internet connection breaks up during a download. Thus a download is rendered broken, although it should be declared “not yet fully downloaded”.

IE is (hate to say it) more clever here: it does not use a .part file and just stops if a download breaks underway. Example: you are downloading a 4MB file, your connection drops (or some other error) and you remain there with a 2.5MB incomplete file. Next time you start downloading this file, Mozilla/Firefox would simply ask you to overwrite yes/no. IE compares the file sizes, then noticing that there is a difference in size, asks the source server if it is able to resume from “Range”-offset, and if so, resumes the download from there. Great.

Please Firefox, learn to do this! GetRight can do it since the 90s! IE has it, so should you. Pausing is nice, but resuming a broken download is far FAR more important!

28. kRaSh July 29, 2009 8:25 pm

ffs HOW is it possible they can code all this Great stuff into firefox YET they
    canNOT yet handle resuming …. its god damn frustration i want to pull my fox out of the box in front of me and tie its tail up to the ceiling and smak it round a dozen times untill it gets the msg and learns to resume ffs its retarded such a simple thing is not sorted..
    im going back to ie just to resume then back to ff cause i prefer ff but with this issue i still have to run multiple browsers .. stop being lame and fix it.. ur acting like a champion horse with its leg broken before the big raceday.. ( all this said after my 25th attempt to download the same file overnight.. and still dont have it.. but in the mean time have downloaded 10 times the actual size of the file worth of data .. gRRR

29. Le Kamikaze August 11, 2009 3:04 am

Right now I happen to be using the 64Bit version of Firefox called Shiretoko. Recently I have been facing disconnectivity issues with my Broadband connection, I’d like to know if I could change the config in the firefox browser to be able to pause a download if the link went down and then resume it automatically when the link came back on, this time frame is about 2 minutes when the wire line goes down due to services being carried out here.
    Is there a possibility of making this happen? cos sitting in front of the screen waiting for the link to go off, then pause and then resuming the download when it comes back on is getting a little bit strenuous….
    I don’t want a download manager…… no DAP, nothing else, just firefox….. .
    Although I’m going thru the config now to check if there are a few settings there…. but pls lemme know if someone finds something… would be a great help.

30. BRian November 14, 2009 2:41 am

Hmmm Resuming Works for me on firefox 3.6b1 :D!

31. Andrew November 29, 2009 6:08 pm

I came here looking for a way to resume broken/interrupted downloads from Rapidshare while using Firefox…

Yes, Firefox can pause AND resume downloads but that doesn’t really cover the situation where you DON’T pause the download but rather it is broken/interrupted… eg,
    - Firefox crashes,
    - system crashes,
    - internet connection drops out
    - etc

Under any of these circumstances, it is very unlikely that you are able to resume. I am not sure if it is a Firefox issue (in handling the part file) or whether it is (as someone else has pointed out) something to do with Rapidshare expiring the session (hence your unique rapidshare session url not working after say a restart).

Whatever the reason, trying to get some downloads JUST FAILS in FF!!

BUT after looking around for a solution and not finding one (other than you should use a download manager… thanks – something to keep in mind for the future – but not going to help me with finishing off that last 1Mb of the 100Mb file x 5!!)

So, after some trial & error, this is what I have found has worked for me (so far).

Say you have the following broken/interrupted download files from rapidshare:
    - file01.rar & file01.rar.part
    - file02.rar & file02.rar.part
    - etc

1/ Rename the files (eg. “xfile01.rar” & “xfile01.rar.part”)
    2/ Go back to the original download link from rapidshare & click on it.
    3/ This will start a new download for the file… let it download 100kb or so.
    4/ You will see the file01.rar & file01.rar.part files in the download folder again
    5/ PAUSE the download in Firefox!
    6/ Rename the files to something else (haven’t tried to delete them myself)
    7/ Rename the original files from xfile01.rar & xfile01.rar.part BACK to file01.rar & file01.rar.part.
    8/ Now, go back to Firefox and RESUME the download
    9/ In Firefox it will look like it IS NOT working (unknown time remaining, etc) BUT!! if you look in your downloads folder you will see the size of the file increasing
    10/ This will continue until the download is complete…
    11/ At this point Firefox will show the file as complete.

Again, I am not sure if this will work in every situation or if it will cause corruption, etc BUT out of 1.2Gb (across 15 files) that I had queued up, I was able to resume the last 150Mb of downloads using this approach with no problems.

Sure beats downloading 1.2Gb again!

• dp December 16, 2009 1:24 am

The last suggestion works brilliantly. rename the files, re-download them, pause the downloading , remove new files (i deleted them with no problem) rename the old files back to there original name, continue the downloading, and be done with it.
      Thank you very much Mr. Andrew

32. Harry_ankit_potter February 22, 2010 1:52 am

Percy Cabelo,
    you are the best. Thank yopu very much . It helped me a lot. You are a genius/.

33. manju May 22, 2010 10:36 pm

great idea andrew………it helped me a lot to resume back my 1.5 gb rar file ………………!!!!!!!!!………thanks you so much buddy:):):):):):):)