Planned features for Firefox 3

In today’s Firefox 3 (code name Gran Paradiso) meeting, developers released a preliminary list of requirements for Firefox 3. The new target release date is sometime in the third quarter this year.

Among the list of mandatory requirements, read, what is the most likely to be included in Firefox 3 we have:

• Improved interaction with Add-ons: clearer, more coherent language; less steps to install; more visible way to configure add-ons, probably to be moved back to the general Options window, which I hope deeply; more noticeable alerts when updates are available; a permanent restart Firefox button.
  • Support for remote bookmarks, bookmarks and history annotation.
  • Files could be handled by web services. If I am reading this correctly, this could mean you would be able to click on an attached document and open it with something like Writely or Google Documents. And perhaps, as I asked Santa, the ability to redirect mailto: links to web email services.
  • A much needed print support to prevent cut paragraphs and true WYSIWYG.
  • The much requested MSI installer which will be a much welcomed improvement for IT administrators as it will ease deployment and updating of Firefox across a company.
  • In the security front: support for Microsoft CardSpace and OpenID (check tomorrow’s article for more coverage on this). Smarter credentials handling.
  • Airbag, the Google backed open source crash reporting tool will replace currently licensed TalkBack.

Among the highly desirable requirements:

• A private web browsing mode. I guess this would mean no cache, history, password or entered form information storage.
  • Save web pages as PDF files, integrated with history. That would be just awesome.
  • Support pause/resume downloads across sessions.
  • Make Firefox help accessible only while online. Not sure how good and idea this is.
  • Microformats support.

Nice to have:

• Unified bookmarks/history. Does this mean no Places?
  • Support for Windows Vista parental controls. I really hope this one goes up in the priority list. This would be the first concrete downer for Firefox when confronted with Internet Explorer 7.
  • Tab grouping and expose. This sounds like Internet Explorer 7 Quick Tabs or the foxPose extension.
  • Windows Group Policy. Another blessing for IT administrators.
  • Allow add-ons to be installed without rebooting Firefox.
  • Simplified interface to manage downloads. Can it be simpler? Maybe exposing commands currently placed in the context menu.

You can read the complete Firefox 3 requirements at Mozilla Wiki.

1. SomGNU » Blog Archive » Cronograma de Gecko 1.9/Firefox3 July 4, 2007 6:10 pm

[...] millores que finalment es preveuen a la versió final podeu veure-les en aquesta pàgina (gràcies a Dimas). Podeu pegar una ullada a la traducció del calendari que han fet des del blog [...]

2. John July 10, 2007 3:14 am

I would like to recommend adding the ability to password protect firefox profiles. Reason being, many family members might use the same computer and have bookmarks not intended for the other users to be able to use/view or to have the freedom of changing configurations or other users profiles. It gives a whole other meaning of personalizing your firefox profile and keeping if personalized. I hope this helps for firefox 3.

3. Christoph Voigt July 12, 2007 4:46 am

>The much requested MSI installer which will be a much welcomed improvement for IT administrators as it will ease deployment and updating of Firefox across a company.

Oooooh, give me the sweet MSI!

4. All in a days work… July 17, 2007 10:31 pm

[...] Planned features for Firefox 3 Improved password security; private browsing mode; Web-page archiving; blacklisting of malicious Web sites; microformat detection framework and handling capabilities; moving help content from the client PC to the Web. OpenID support! [...]

5. pete July 27, 2007 10:37 am

improved font rendering like ie7 ( subpixel ) anti-aliasing , ClearType , etc

would be cool

6. New Blog Design Coming - by Lawrence Salberg July 31, 2007 5:39 pm

[...] (yet), but as long as I’m going to update, I might as well be ready for the next big thing. Firefox will be incorporating it into their next browser (3.0), so people will start expecting this functionality before too [...]

7. bbbobbbo August 4, 2007 7:56 am

yeap, a “fit-to-width” opera-like feature would simply be awsome.

8. Anon August 22, 2007 8:27 pm

“Much requested” MSI installer? Was it really?

I don’t know about anybody else but I absolutely DESPISE the MSI installer/framework! So slow, sluggish and buggy!

Nullsoft’s NSIS is many multiple times superior.

TBH, I wouldn’t be worried about “sysadmins”. These are the types that do IT admin for large corporate or Government offices – they will be leaving IE as the desktop as they are too dumb to try anything different.

Any admin worth his salt will steer as far away as possible from MSI and use the most stable installer available, if indeed, any installer at all. This software can easily be slip-streamed into the XP installation. They will be able to make do, or even prefer to do without, an installer.

9. Craig August 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Native Tag “bookmarks” support would be nice. Bookmark folders are so dead and restrictive. Many websites fit into more than one category

10. Jim Higgins September 29, 2007 8:57 am

Add a “send page” feature along with the current “send link”.

Npt being able to “send page” is quite annoying. The add-on for sending a page is a poor imitation of the real thing.

11. Joan Young October 13, 2007 11:43 am

is mozilla firefox compatible with windows vista. I just bought this new computer that came with internet explora but I want Mozilla but some people have said it is not compatible yet. please let me know so I can download it.

12. Fuzebox inc » The merging of web and desktop. October 16, 2007 6:43 pm

[...] and ActionScript to build a seamless application that coordinates between the web and the desktop. FireFox 3 is building in the ability to have a local database in the browser and to enable your pages to work [...]

13. Keith Ealanta October 19, 2007 1:33 am

Two things (please? pretty please?)
    1. Tab window : The ability to split a tab out to an independent window (without reloading the page) and to tell a window to become a tab on another window.

2. Multi-proxy : The ability to have different proxies for each window, or even each tab. As a developer I switch proxy 100+ times a day. In practice it is switching between the same pages as viewed via 3 different proxies.

And for bonus points (or if #2 cannot be done)
    3. Independent-start option : The ability to start a new firefox process that will _not_ share cookies etc with the one already running. It should run as independantly as it can, so two firefoxes can be used in parallel, with different setups.

14. Edna Smith October 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Why does firefox not incorporate ‘word wrap’ into their browser?

The bottom scroll bar is a real pain!!!

15. Ryan Price October 28, 2007 5:24 am

this may have been covered before, but I would really like to see vista’s aero-glass integrated into the client-areas of Firefox 3.

16. Ramudu Kondapalli October 29, 2007 8:04 am

Mozilla Firefox 3 ability to start a new firefox window that will not share cookies etc with the one already opened window.

17. Nikos Karakalos November 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Could that be accomplished to use Firefox instead of IE to view-download-update_Windows-etc???

I’m not a developer but why not be able to use “my choice browser”

18. jason druet November 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Firefox needs to be multi-session like IE7…for example me and my girlfriend can both be logged into our face book accounts on same comp at same time using IE7 but not with Firefox…i don’t know if you can build an add on for this or just simply update the existing platform, but whatever the case this would help you corner the market as besides these points Firefox is a far superior browser and being able to multi session would be better not only for your home users but also for businesses…people dont want 2 browsers loaded on there desktop IE7 is a virus/spyware magnet and i would personally like to get rid of it but cannot due to that 1 drawback of firefox.
    please consider this firefox rocks and there is no need for them microsoft boneheads to have a step up on you in any aspect of the browser market,

Jason Druet

19. Adam Rochford November 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Will it have more css3 compatibility? Are we finally going to be able to use word-wrap property? Help I need compatibility!!!!!

20. Welcome to Better Than Therapy - by Mark O'Neill November 13, 2007 11:21 am

[...] really hope with the upcoming release of Firefox 3, that the Fox gets its act together. I like it for its extensions but extensions are not the be-all [...]

21. marinus November 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Features are fine but not without basic usability. That [plus speed] is why i’ve stayed with Opera and will continue to do so [instantly zoom and fit-to-width] your web pages!] until it’s built in [and not a klunky inferior extension].

22. alex November 22, 2007 7:53 pm

More safari and mac os x support and integration.
    Please please please

23. Review: Firefox 3.0 beta 1 « Eye of Knowledge November 27, 2007 4:50 pm

[...] – Save halaman web ke PDF – Memasang Add ons tanpa harus me-restart Firefox. – Support remote bookmarks – Private web browsing mode (ini seperti yang ada di Safari) – Microformats support Info lengkap feature baru yang akan hadir di Firefox 3 liat disini. [...]

24. Leanne M. Fahey December 4, 2007 3:29 pm

Do you have an actual release date for FireFox 3?

25. HayMoose December 5, 2007 11:24 pm

Okay so this might be a stretch for any web browser but it would give a search engine junkie like me a great tool.

Here’s the scenarion;

I open a browser window
    enter search keyword into the search bar

hold the ctrl key down and open the six to 8 most interesting links related to my keyword in separate tabs

I find the page I wish to view and grab the tab by its title and drag it to the desktop which in turn opens a new single browser of only THAT page

Then I conveniently close the browser with the unwanted keyword tabs.

Is this a dumb idea or what?

26. Henoch C December 10, 2007 1:51 am

About the Download management:
    It would be very nice to be able to pause a current download at any time and resume it days later.
    Because once close (Firefox) all current downloads are lost.

27. Steve December 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Really want to download v3, but I use yahoo mail. Has the bug been fixed yet?

28. John January 9, 2008 12:37 am

Also I hope they can fix the bloat that’s in mozilla firefox 2, and hopefully that’s furfilled in firefox 3

29. azthth January 21, 2008 3:37 am

wow. i wish “show all bookmarks” manager thingy still had drag and drop. Also, any idea about getting an enter( or go ) button next to the address bar?

30. ali imran khan February 7, 2008 7:55 pm

will it also support css3 and previous standards of html and css . what new supports it is bringing for javascript and xml.

31. TeCh Guru February 20, 2008 12:58 pm

Mozilla firefox 2 is even safer to browse with than Internet Explorer 8 or 9. The SSL technology which it uses it amazing! The safest software available on the planet to use. A person who does not know Mozilla firefox , must not be a net surfer !!!

32. Avinash Gupta March 8, 2008 7:12 am

Dear sir,
    I would like to know if it is safe to use beta version as i newly shift from IE7 to firefox 2

thanks
    Avinash

33. Russ Ross April 23, 2008 10:47 am

I had to use Firefox to to read a web document that IE7 couldn’t. I decided to make Firefox my default browser and try it out. I really like the CTL+ for zooming but have to go back to using IE7 as my default browser because Firefox doesn’t wrap long lines which is a deal breaker. The whole ideal of a web browser is to help you read the web page so zooming and word wrapping are mandatory basic functionality above all else.

34. Mathew Hartnell April 24, 2008 11:48 am

IS it safe to use beta version as i newly shift from IE7 to firefox 2

35. Jon May 2, 2008 2:28 pm

From a regular user standpoint, not a serious IT guy.
    1) I like the speed of firefox, loads a hell of a lot faster then IE7
    2) The Bookmarks Toolbar is excellent, one reason I stuck with Firefox
    3) The download window is a major pain in my backside, its one more thing I have to click to get out of my view.
    Integrate it into the existing look of Firefox like up top to the right of the Help menu. Plenty of room there.
    4) Addons are so much easier in firefox, I agree with someone way up the list, dont make a permenant restart button, just make the addon install itself and restart itself back to the same page the user was browsing. Why ask just do it.
    5) A permenant button for fast browsing (No history/passwords) is a great idea, one touch on/off is all we need. Nothing complicated please!
    6) The FireFTP addon is one of the greatest addons in Firefox, a WYSIWYG with the majority of functions html coders need is defininetly lacking.
    7) For the love of God, please stay away from becoming “VISTA RETARDED”. Dont go security crazy, we just want to surf.
    8) The Mailto function working with web based email services would be excellent, I would give my l/r nut for that. Im sick of copy/pasteing it.
    Thanks thats all I have.

36. Manu May 24, 2008 1:23 pm

What I really like in the FF2 is the ability create a shortcut of the current web page I’m viewing. I just need to drag and drop the address from the address bar to a folder or to the desktop (to create a shortcut).

But what if I have for example 20 tabs open and I’d like to create shortcuts for everyone of them? Then I’ll have to do the same thing in each tab and that takes time!

But wouldn’t it be great if it would be possible to create shortcuts for every tab in that current browser window a lot easier and at the same time for each.

That’s why a feature should be added in the menu called for example “Send all the tabs/web pages in this current window…(create a shortcut)”. And then a option box would come and the user could choose to send them all to either to the desktop or to a folder he/she chooses.

With a feature like that making shortcuts to web pages would become very easy and fast!

37. Jim Bruce June 7, 2008 1:13 pm

I am something of a civil libertarian. In the days of the US Patriot act we all should be cognizant of the need to protect our rights for privacy from those who feel they have a right to investigate it for their own reasons, however noble or patriotic they seem. I am a user through Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5. I am disturbed that address bar history is kept even when other histories can be purged easily. This means that somewhere unavailable to the user is a file that persists in retaining personal information.

Personal information should be kept by information privacy only when permission is given in advance. The default setting should be “keep no tracks” and the user should be called upon to choose what amounts of information is retained.

Jim Bruce

38. Halil Özgür June 12, 2008 12:57 pm

CleartType, ClearType, ClearType, Please ! (But not through windows appearance settings.)

39. Catherine Esquivel June 22, 2009 2:26 pm

To whom this may concern,
    I have Firefox 3.0.5 and it’s running great on my ‘leopard’ mac. (MacPro). But, on my older version Power Mac G-5, it suddenly refused to open and now I have to be opening up the internet browser with ‘Safari’…which I DO NOT particularly like. I loose alot of extra options and convieniences which Firefox provides for me, and I can’t afford to have Firefox working on just ONE COMPUTER. The older mac (which Firefox is NOT responding to), has my printer and scanner connected. Please email me back and tell me what’s going on. It’s really strange that Firefox doesn’t want to open with my
    Power mac G-5 anymore. I’ll be waiting for a response! THANK YOU!

-Catherine Esquivel